Friday, June 10, 2011

Zip City

A friend of mine turned 20 yesterday, when I called him to wish him Happy Birthday, he told me about his plans for the day and it reminded me of the day when I turned 20 (only like 6months ago).

One of the things I did on my 20th birthday was go to a music store in Costa Mesa called Second Spin. They had a sale going on used CDs, I think it was like buy one-get the second half off or something. If I recall correctly, I bought six albums that day.

One of the albums I bought was Lucero's 'Nobody's Darlings.' It wasn't in my original stack of albums that I was going to buy, I couldn't find any Lucero albums on the shelfs, so when I went to pay the cashier asked me if I had found everything alright and thats when I said I was looking for something by Lucero...he helped me find the stack and the only one they had was Nobody's Darlings. Even thought I don't consider it to be my favorite album by the band, I still enjoy listening to it a great deal. There are plenty of great tracks on the album. Roy's drumming in 'Sixteen' and 'And We Fell' is amazing. 'Hold Me Close' is a song that I would consider playing at my wedding. The slow songs 'Nobody's Darlings' and 'The War' are lyrically beyond perfect to me. And of course, how can you not love 'California' when you live in the state.

It's funny how you get introduce the band. I had no idea who Lucero was until May of 2010. When I think it was either Brian Fallon or The Gaslight Anthem tweeted something like How Good is Lucero, That Good...few days after seeing that, I did some research and downloaded one of their albums. It took me a while to get into it. I was new to the alternative-country genre but after a while I grew on me. It's been little over a year since I started listening to them and I have already seen them live three times.

It's funny how bands, albums or songs remind you of a certain time. I have spent the last year listening to the band so much that now, they have become a big part of my life. I would call my third year of college as the year I fell in love with Lucero. I spent many nights last school year, laying on my futon listening to the them rather than going out on a saturday night. I don't regret any of it.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't find then earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment